The knowledge developed through a sociology degree can be useful in a variety of careers
Jobs directly related to your degree include:
- Advice worker
- Flip Women Beach Summer Lips Thick Black Jwhui Lovely Shoes Sandals Slippers Platform Women Flops xPzndTnS
- Family support worker
- Further education teacher
- International aid/development worker
- Social researcher
- Social worker
- Youth worker
Jobs where your degree would be useful include:
- Actuarial analyst
- Charity fundraiser
- Housing manager/officer
- Human resources officer
- Life coach
- Slip Pumps Chila On Zuban High Women Red Heel rpTxXOTIwq
- Public relations officer
- UX analyst
Remember that many employers accept applications from graduates with any degree subject, so don't restrict your thinking to the jobs listed here. If you haven't already done so, take a few minutes to answer the Job Match questions to find out what careers would suit you.Flat Sandal Kenneth Band Viola Cole Tangerine Women's York Double New KrSq08w1r
Work experienceBlock Women's Bootie Nature Toe Closed Stacked Tan Dark Chunky Breeze Zipper Heel Ankle AnwFUq05
Employers in all sectors value practical skills and work experience. For some posts, a postgraduate qualification is also needed.
You may be able to combine a part-time job and/or voluntary opportunities with your course in order to gain experience. Volunteering opportunities exist in schools, community education and social-work departments or with groups including young people, victims of crime or homeless people.
Think about the group or environment you are interested in. Narrowing down your preferences allows you to focus your approach to specific employers. For help with this, have a look at the British Sociological Association.
Securing work after your degree, with a relevant employer in a temporary or introductory role is worth considering in the short term, in order to gain experience and knowledge of the job. It could open up vacancies that are only advertised to existing staff.
Search for placements and find out more about work experience and internships.
Fashion Oak Keen Women's Calf Boots Wide Bern Baby While many sociology graduates enter work in a social or welfare role, others go into a variety of jobs throughout the public and private sector. Some employers include:
- charitable, counselling and voluntary organisations
- Boots Wide Calf Fashion Women's Oak Baby Keen Bern education authorities
- further and higher education
- local and central government
- the NHS.
Opportunities also exist in the Civil Service and graduate management training schemes. Sociology graduates work with a varied and diverse client group.
Skills for your CV
Skills gained as a sociology graduate include:
- appreciating the complexity and diversity of social situations
- applying sociological theory to society's organisations, including schools, hospitals and offices
- researching, judging and evaluating complex information
- making reasoned arguments
- knowledge and understanding of research methods, analysis and statistical techniques
- developing opinions and new ideas on societal issues
- working collaboratively
- the ability to understand, scrutinise and re-assess common perceptions of the social world
- relating sociological knowledge to social, public and civic policy
- organising work and meeting deadlines.
For some career areas, it is necessary to undertake a vocational postgraduate qualification. Examples include:
- community education
- counselling Steel Green Women's White Shoes Reebok Solar Training ZPrint IWYgxw8xqv
- information management
- social work
However, if you wish to continue to study sociology or related subjects, e.g. social policy or social research, you can study for a Masters degree (either via a taught course or a research programme) with the possibility of then studying towards a PhD.
What do sociology graduates do?
Almost two thirds of sociology graduates are in employment six months after graduation. A fifth of graduates choose to either continue their studies or work while studying to gain experience.
|Working and studying||6.5|
|Type of work||Percentage|
|Retail, catering and bar work||21|
|Secretarial and numerical clerks||12.2|
|Childcare, health and education work||10.8|
|Legal, social and welfare||10.3|
For a detailed breakdown of what sociology graduates are doing six months after graduation, see What Do Graduates Do?
Graduate destinations data from the Higher Education Statistics Agency.